Whats Missing?

David E. Bernholdt bernhold at qtp.ufl.edu
Fri Sep 22 05:28:45 AEST 1989

In article <3199 at amelia.nas.nasa.gov> ciotti at orville.nas.nasa.gov (Robert B. Ciotti) writes:
>If you had your wish, what would you add to UNICOS 5.0
>or what in your opinion is missing?

I definitely miss ranlib.  I guess this is because UniCOS is SysV
based and just about everything else I run on is BSD based.
Considering what it does, I could probably write one on my own.  There
are a few other BSDisms which I find convenient, but nothing I can't
live without.

Version 5 combined with the most recent compiler releases is
definitely better than many of its predecessors in providing
compilers, loaders, etc. which work in "the unix way" and don't
require too much modification of my makefiles, etc.

The Ohio Supercomputer Center has a command called iostat (or
something like that) which provided statistics on I/O much in the same
way hpm provides information about CPU and memory.  I think this would
be useful as a permenant addition.

On the whole, however, I'd like other vendors to take a look at some
of the things Cray *does* provide -- particularly their mathematical
libraries and performance monitoring.  Its quite useful, and since I
don't run solely on Crays, I'd like to have these tools to help
improve my code on other platforms.
David Bernholdt			bernhold at qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		bernhold at ufpine.bitnet
University of Florida