Whats Missing?

Keith Sklower sklower at ernie.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Sep 22 13:56:02 AEST 1989

In article <1989Sep22.002411.6208 at agate.berkeley.edu> jerry at violet.berkeley.edu ( Jerry Berkman ) writes:
    >In addition, each time you move a "ranlib" library, you have to
    >re-"ranlib" it; but you can move "bld" libraries.
>	- Jerry Berkman, U.C.Berkeley

1.) If you ``cp -p'' a ranlib'd library you do not need to re-ranlib

2.) If you ``mv'' a ranlib'd library within the same file system ditto.

3.) The check in ``ld'' (that the creation date of the archive is the
    same as the creation date of SYMDEF) is only a warning
    and not a fatal error in of itself.

4.) Mr. Berkman is not one of the originators of Berkeley unix --
    (He didn't claim that he was, I'm not claiming to be either,
    and he must know a heck of a lot more about crays than I do),
    but I would like it understood that his article endorsing ``bld''
    is in no way an offical BSD position.

I agree that this is very small part of a very large picture.