Unformatted data transfer..

Michael J. Hennebry hennebry at plains.NoDak.edu
Sat Oct 20 01:30:48 AEST 1990

In article <9171 at helios.TAMU.EDU> suray at cs.tamu.edu (Subhankar Ray) writes:
>Hello Everyone,
>
>Here is a test program, where I was generating a file on YMP, named
>ibm( good for IBM) and then I moved it to IBM (under
>MVS/os) using   binary ftp. But when I was trying to make an
>unformatted read on IBM, it was
>giving end of record ( or end of file depending on the recfm and lrecl
>modified by IEBGENER). Am I missing something ?

No doubt differences in IBM and Cray control information are causing the
problem. If you give IEBGENER RECFM=U, it should be able to read just
about anything. It will regard control info as just more data. U stands
for undefined. Some time ago, perhaps still, unformatted IBM FORTRAN
files had to be VBS, which means variable blocked spanned. Using IEBGENER
to copy the file from RECFM=U to VBS will give you a file that you can
examine with IBM FORTRAN and convert to something useful.

--
Mike    hennebry at plains.NoDak.edu
"Got any grim reapers?" -- Norm