Backup/Restore utilities for UNICOS

gerben at vax1.sara.nl gerben at vax1.sara.nl
Wed Oct 24 02:10:49 AEST 1990

In article <231408.11866 at timbuk.cray.com>, jstout at ferris.cray.com (Jeff
Stout) writes:
> In article <1990Oct19.161653.2581 at vax1.sara.nl> gerben at vax1.sara.nl writes:
>>dump/restore of UNICOS; the UNICOS dump requires an unmount of the file-
>
>      Are you sure about this?

Well, it doesn't require an unmount of the filesystem, but there must
not be "a lot of activity" otherwise the dump will be more or less
incorrect.

The only way I can think of to ensure there is no activity at all is an
unmount of the filesystem. (or stop all processes, disable interactive,
batch, network access etc. which is effectively the same thing)

This "non active" requirement is not very acceptable for us, we want the
machine to compute, not to write backup tapes. That is why I asked for
information about sites doing online dumping

P.S.
If anyone is interested in a reply summary, drop me a note and I'll send
you the replies. (I'll wait another week for more replies to come)

Gerben Jansen,
SARA, Academic Computing Services,
Amsterdam,
The Netherlands.