why has Cray dropped CPP support from cf77?

Keith Bierman fpgroup khb at chiba.Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Feb 20 08:32:13 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb19.162007.28774 at ncsa.uiuc.edu> hirchert at ncsa.uiuc.edu (Kurt Hirchert) writes:

   >did it?

   I don't know, but I could guess.  As I understand it, the standard C compiler
   (scc) doesn't use cpp, but does preprocessing internally, instead.  Under
   Unicos 6.0, scc becomes the default cc, and the previous cc becomes pcc,

Inasmuch as unix f77 has traditionally handled .F files in a
particular fashion (admittedly there are sometime a few implementation
specific details ;>) when wearing _my_ consumer hat, I'd very much
complain if a vendor made it stop working.

There are several ways for the vendor to ensure that f77 continue
working; as a consumer I don't care how.

Of course, as a vendor I have ideas ..... ;>

But seriously, if you folks like the functionality of #ifdef and
friends, you will have to complain whenever someone leaves it out
(from this discussion Cray, from others, IBM with their xlf on the
RS/6000 come to mind as the only exceptions in UnixLand).