CPP "problems" (was Re: why has Cray dropped CPP support from cf77?)

Mike A Christensen mikec at scripps.edu
Thu Feb 21 06:29:54 AEST 1991

I think we have a misunderstanding here, from my communication with Cray
software development, they are REPLACING the functionality of CPP with a
mostly equivalent (i.e. should take most C preprocessor directives) fortran
preprocessor.  This preprocessor will know about Fortran comments (especially
ones that begin with CRAY in CC1...) and various other problems with using
the C preprocessor on Fortran code.  I did the same panic when I saw the
comment from CF77 about ".F" files going away and not automatically running
the C preprocessor, and it took me several phone calls to finally get what
the "real" answer was.