uucico problem with flow control

Terry Hull terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Wed Aug 16 23:45:35 AEST 1989

In article <4255 at ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> you write:
>You can't use ^S/^Q flow control with uucico, since the 'g' protocol
>expects a transparent 8-bit channel.  This isn't a problem with the
>TB+ in PEP mode since ^S/^Q won't be sent, but it will be a problem
>at slower speeds.
I am lost here.  I understand how the TB modems could keep from
sending XON/XOFF sequences between them, but both the sending and
receiving computers will have to see the sequences.  It seems like
this would be a problem no matter what mode the modem was in.  Can
someone expalin why this is not true?

>I assume you have the TB+ fixed at 9600 or 19.2k baud.
>Some people (not me) have reported success with a fixed baud rate and
>^S/^Q turned off on the modem.  Alternately, you can reconfigure the
>Telebit to use the speed of the incoming modem.
I am running my TB+ fixed at 19200 (even for 1200 baud uucico
connections) and I have only encountered one problem.  I MUST run
UUCP spoofing when I use a 9600 or 19200 uucico transfer.  For cu use,
I turn on XON/XOFF because it seems that cu is hard-wired to use
software handshaking.  I am using XENIX 2.3.1 with a dumb Digiboard
and I get from 800 to 1400 cps depending on the other system and the
phone line quality.
--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University