(386/ix) mapping video memory into address space

Tom Friedel tpf at jdyx.UUCP
Thu Aug 17 12:28:33 AEST 1989

Has anyone had any luck mapping more than 128K of video
memory into the 386/ix address space.  I imagine it can
be done, as (a) it is sort of documented, and (b) X11 does
it (but X11 links something into the kernel; what?)

If I set the size field of struct kd_memloc to anything
larger than 128K I (sometimes) get a memory fault when
accessing that memory.  I have had little luck setting
video modes that require more than 128K, but think I have
a pretty good idea of what I am doing as I can get quite
a few smaller VGA modes.

Thanks,
Tom

--
Tom Friedel             Public Access Unix BBS
tpf at prism.gatech.edu    ...gatech!emory!jdyx!tpf