386/ix at386 terminfo corrections

Vernon Schryver vjs at calcite.UUCP
Mon Aug 28 06:52:16 AEST 1989

I wrote:
> >... clear=\Ec is much shorter

In article <14595 at bfmny0.UUCP>, tneff at bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
> I don't think this will go -- "ESC c" is much stronger than "ESC [ 2 J".
> The former means RESET including losing windows, fonts and whatnot.
> The latter is just supposed to blank the current window and home the
> cursor within it.
> --
> "We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
> 	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET

Thanks, you're right.  I did not pay enough attention to the 2.0.2 manual
which says \Ec "clears the screen" while \E[2J "erases [the] window."
(Obvious difference :-)  Upon experimenting, the only difference I can find
is the effect on fonts, since the 2.0.2 driver does not appear to support
windows (i.e. locked lines).

Display(7) says, apparently correctly, that FF dos the same thing as \Ec.
So if you prefer to reset the current font, FF is a shorter & better choice.

Vernon Schryver
vjs at calcite.uucp    or   {sgi,pyramid}!calcite!vjs