16-bit memory, caches, and UNIX V/386

Darryl Richman darryl at ism780c.isc.com
Fri Aug 25 10:48:16 AEST 1989

In article <9642 at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff at b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>>I'd like a way to differentiate between the 32-bit and 16-bit memory and use
>>them for different purposes.  You could isolate your 16-bit memory from
>
>If the Unix vendors would just start allocating memory from the top so that
>the disk buffers and kernel would end up in 16 bit memory, things would work
>much better.  Seems like a simple change - how about it Interactive?

MEMRANGEs marked with `:1' in your /etc/default/boot file are used
preferentially for the kernel, since the mark indicates that the memory
cannot be DMAed.  Don't expect your disk buffers to end up there, however.

		--Darryl Richman
--
Copyright (c) 1989 Darryl Richman    The views expressed are the author's alone
darryl at ism780c.isc.com 		      INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.-A Kodak Company