Unix for a 386.

John Boteler bote at csense.UUCP
Sat Aug 26 00:06:44 AEST 1989

>From article <7186 at megatest.UUCP>, by palowoda at megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda):
>   I really would like to express my displeasure to the marketing bozo's
>   who ever came up with this idea of 1-2 user versions of UNIX.
>
>   [flick flick flick]
>   Some companies (like SCO) sell a two user version with no upgrade path.
>   Remeber the days when unix came as real *unlimited* user system with
>   no other standard.
>   What happen some got in there and said here's a
>   good market trick.
>   Do they have a upgrade path?

You mean 'an upgrade path'?

Although you may find it impossible to believe, there really
are applications where there is only need for the features of
the 2-user SCO offering, requiring absolutely no upgrade path.

Data acquisition, standalone voice mail systems where the system
itself is the network (TM), and other special purpose applications
where paying less for getting less satisfies the requirements.

Look out, see far.

--
Bote
Old & Improved path!: uunet!comsea!csense!bote