_UNIX_Today!_ hits a new benchmarking low

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.ISC.COM
Thu Aug 31 01:08:52 AEST 1989

In article <16054 at vail.ICO.ISC.COM>, rcd at ico.ISC.COM (that's me) complained
about a _UNIX_Today!_ article.  At one point I said:

> The Intel/Bell Tech machine is a 25 MHz 386 with 64K cache.  386/ix was
> tested on a 16 MHz 386 "Inboard" (a 386 add-in board) which has no cache.
> This probably represents about a 2:1 CPU speed difference.

I was wrong; the Inboard DOES have a cache and the CPU speed difference
(based on other cached 386-25's) is more like 1.6 - 1.7.  This is still
significant, and doesn't affect the remainder of what I wrote since the
more significant differences are in the disk subsystems.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com    uucp: {ncar,nbires}!ico!rcd     (303)449-2870
   ...Are you making this up as you go along?