Shadow passwords

Ken Weaverling weave at sun.acs.udel.edu
Thu Dec 28 10:14:32 AEST 1989

In article <6637 at pbhyf.PacBell.COM> jdp at PacBell.COM (Jerry D. Pierce) writes:

>I also remember reading awhile back in the AT&T release notes for a
>3B2/700 I was upgrading, something about "shadow passwording is not
>compatible with all applications, the general symptom is you will
>not be able to log into the machine."  Or something similar.  Anyone
>had any problems??

Yes, I had that problem when we switched from Sys V 3.0 to 3.1 a while
back. A PC file server application by Locus (PC-Interface version 2.8.7)
broke. Basically, it allows DOS users access to the UNIX file system as
a DOS drive and does its own user validation during its login. Obviously,
when user phredd entered his password, PC-Interface was looking for the
password in passwd and not shadow. The result was that there were a lot
of angry dos users at me. (eh, so what... :-)

Anyway, the warning is a valid one if you have any software that does
its own user validation with passwords. I just wish the warning you
mentioned was in *MY* manual as well!

The fix was to get version 2.8.7.1 :-)   (No, for real, weird version #s!!)

Ken Weaverling - Systems Administrator |  Internet: 00499 at vax1.acs.udel.edu
Delaware Technical & Community College |  Voice:    +1 302 573 5460