Use a 386 unix as a home machine?

daniel mocsny dmocsny at uceng.UC.EDU
Sun Dec 24 12:05:54 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec23.220436.14097 at agate.berkeley.edu>, ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu writes:
> I was careful to buy only hardware
> in Interactives list of "approved" hardware. It is a good idea to
> decide first on whose UNIX you will be using (Interactive, SCO or
> Everex) and stick to recommended hardware.

Would the kind folx at Interactive, Dell, SCO, ESIX, etc. be so kind
as to post, at regular intervals, their latest lists of "approved"
hardware? I do like the fine artwork in all the nice advertisements,
but a bit of advance knowledge can save much weeping and gnashing of
teeth. For example, I have discovered that Interactive generally runs
like a dream on Compaq :-) but develops problems I never knew could
exist on Northgate :-( I even sent my Northgate hardware back for
inspection; the technician's report was "passes all Northgate
diagnostics" and "we have no known incompatibilities". So now I have
this nice box that runs DOS really well, but most of the time decides
not to boot UNIX, even from a floppy. Ech.

Dan Mocsny
dmocsny at uceng.uc.edu