vpix problems

Chuck Forsberg caf at omen.UUCP
Thu Dec 7 18:28:17 AEST 1989

In article <10071 at june.cs.washington.edu> witold at june.cs.washington.edu (Witold Paluszynski) writes:
:I am new to 386/ix and System V in general (I have used various
:flavors of BSD systems for a number of years).  I just tried using
:VP/ix and discovered some serious problems with it.  The system
:has a DOS partition (32 MB) on the disk which is mounted with:
:	mount -f DOS /dev/dsk/0p1 /dos

Instead of mounting the partition as a phoney Unix file system which
VP/ix must then translate back to a DOS file system, why not access
the DOS partition directly from VP/ix with an entry in vpix.cnf:

; MS-DOS partition on first hard disk
D			/dev/hd00

In my experience, the result of mount -f DOS is sufficiently
dissimilar from a *nix file system that programs such as du
and find are confused.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF