Device errors (static zaps)

Fred Fish fnf at estinc.UUCP
Sat Dec 9 06:32:39 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec7.190957.5768 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>I used to get this kind of error every time I touched my old Bell Tech 386. It
>seems that the disk controller was especially suseptable to static electricity.

I have the same problem with our Bell Tech machine using the tape drive.  On
days when static electricity becomes noticable, I have to ground myself before
inserting or removing tapes, or the entire disk/tape system locks up.  I
thought that maybe they had just forgot to connect a grounding strap or
something, but the tape chassis appears to be grounded correctly.  Apparently
the metallic parts accessable from the front are NOT grounded, allowing the
charge to get into the electronics.  So far there has been no damage when
I sometimes forget to ground myself first, but it is an annoying problem.

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf