UUCP won't cooperate

John Stewart stewart at netxcom.DHL.COM
Sat Dec 16 06:33:24 AEST 1989

In article <285 at csnz.co.nz> paul at csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
>I'm having trouble with UUCP for collecting news for a new system
>that I'm setting up.  ...
>
>Looking at my modem TX and RX lights, I see that my end will
>happily receive 7 packets, each of which is ack'ed, then it
>won't ack the last one.  This causes a pause, then the other end
>will retry, and it seems to start from the first packet again.

I've seen this kind of behavior before.  Beware of data paths that won't
pass arbitrary binary data.  The first instance was due to a Multitech
modem which didn't have some obscure flow control feature turned off.
The second was due to a Computone smart serial controller board which
intercepted certain character sequences.  The solution in both cases
was to turn the fancy features off.

Hope this helps.
--
John Stewart, Effective Computing, Inc., (202) 232-5470     stewart at ecompin.UUCP
     at NetExpress Communications, Inc., (703) 749-2796
        stewart at netxcom.iad-nxe.global-mis.dhl.com