Binary Compatibility

Tim Brown tim at comcon.UUCP
Fri Dec 22 05:55:48 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec20.153324.732 at pcrat.uucp>, rick at pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) writes:
> In article <182 at comcon.UUCP> tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:
> >In article <1989Dec17.095713.16315 at agate.berkeley.edu>, ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu writes:
> >> Does WP 5.0 mean that graphics and page previewer are part of the
>
> >Any flavor of unix that supports xenix binary compatibility has the
> >required ioctl calls also to put whatever graphics card your are using
> >into hires mode.  So, you can be reasonably sure of the graphics features
> >working on the console at least.
>
> Unfortunately, this is true only up to EGA graphics resolution.
> After that, the AT&T/Intel/SCO/Microsoft/ISC/whatever consortium
> took completely different paths to VGA and super VGA graphics

Ahh..  But ISC is with the exception of a few (being phased out) system
calls, completely campatible with XENIX.  Meaning that however XX xenix
program wants to engage your mga, ega or vga graphics card, it can.  See
ISC has all the ioctl calls for both systems in the kernel and include
files (how I know!).  Bottom line, if the software in question has
support for vanilla xenix, ISC can handle it.  That is what there manuals
say.  I personally saw the xenix vga ioctl calls in display.h I believe.

Tim Brown                           |
Computer Connection                 |
(attmail or uunet)!comcon!tim       |