Computone Problems??

John Stewart stewart at netxcom.DHL.COM
Fri Dec 22 08:49:14 AEST 1989

In article <6585 at pbhyf.PacBell.COM> jdp at PacBell.COM (Jerry D. Pierce) writes:
>However, once a getty is respawning, it CANNOT be killed.  I can
>edit the inittab  and change the entry to off and then do an init q
>which has no affect, I can even do a kill -9 PID and it won't die...

Often such behavior is due to a call to sleep() in the driver which
is not followed by a check to see if the wakeup was due to an interrupt.
In such a case, an interrupt will wake up the driver, which will determine
that the resource it is waiting for is not yet available and then just
John Stewart, Effective Computing, Inc., (202) 232-5470     stewart at ecompin.UUCP
     at NetExpress Communications, Inc., (703) 749-2796
        stewart at netxcom.iad-nxe.global-mis.dhl.com