386/ix questions: asynch boards; support

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Fri Dec 1 04:36:39 AEST 1989

In article <291 at mentat.COM>, jt at mentat.COM (Jerry Toporek) writes:

> in the X5 update.  My question now is:  Can anyone with a hardware
> configuration like ours recommend a specific high-performance asynch
> board with 16550A chip(s) that works well under 2.0.2?  We don't need
> lots of ports, and would prefer a board with RJ-45 connections.  We

If you get an intelligent card, you shouldn't need the 16550s.

The Bell Tech ICC (and maybe the ACE, not sure) use RJ45's and claim
to handle the load.  I have an ICC and have downloaded data at full
19.2k, but it was not a news feed.  I haven't tried the ICC with my
news feed because I havn't had time.

I also have a Maxspeed 8 port card (list 795, but available for around 500
from Tangent Computer Inc.).  This card has 6 line RJ-11's, but I just
built short RJ11 to RJ45 conversion cables and use RJ45s for all my office
cabling.

I have been unable to get the Maxspeed card working at 19.2k, but I get
acceptable performance (around 850cps) at 9600 baud.  Maxspeed has been
helpfull and claim that they have other customers that do not have a
problem with 19.2.  They even gave me the number of one of thier customers,
but I have yet to call the customer because I dont have the time.