ESIX Networks and X

Eric Schnoebelen eric at egsner.cirr.com
Thu Dec 7 03:20:19 AEST 1989

In article <9315 at spool.cs.wisc.edu> thurm at shorty.cs.wisc.edu
 (Matthew Thurmaier) writes:
- In article <10855 at megatest.UUCP> palowoda at megatest.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) writes:
- >All in all I'm quite happy with what Everex did with ESIX. These are
- >my opinions. I'm sure there are other out there that will disagree with me.
- >I'm sure I'll have more to say about X after I make some changes in my
- >system. (And afford it, expensive little hobby here.)
- >
- >---Bob
- > Bob Palowoda    *Home of Fiver BBS*                   login: bbs
-
- Bob... Wait a minute.... I know ESIX is a pretty good deal BUT, have you
- looked at Open Desktop from SCO.  Lets see, according to the add I have
- here in front of me ESIX includes:
- 	1.) runtime O.S.
- 	2.) dev sys.
- 	3.) X-Sight
- 	4.) Streams
- 	availability of NFS and other goodies (looks like add-ons)
-
- Open Desktop INCLUDES NFS, INGRESS, NFS, and a couple of more goodies for
- only $100 more!  YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT.

        The low price version of Open Desktop that I saw was only a two
user license, and I believe that it lacked the software development kit.
If SCO has a $900+/- system running Unix (not Xenix) that includes all
of the above, with an unlimited user license, I certainly would be glad
to hear about it!  (it would change several recommendations I have made
recently.)

[All of the above:  unlimited user license, software development kit,
Streams, NFS, Xsight, Ingress, and documentors workbench would be nice]

- Matthew J. Thurmaier                ...decvax!garp!harvard!uwvax!thurm
- The Computer Classroom              matt at shorty.cs.wisc.edu

Eric Schnoebelen	eric at egsner.cirr.com		schnoebe at convex.com
			"/bin/sh: Bourne in the USA"