Use a 386 unix as a home machine?

Dror Matalon dror at infmx.UUCP
Sat Dec 23 09:02:22 AEST 1989

	Now that 386 boxes are getting to be really cheap I'm thinking of
getting the best of both worlds by buying one running Unix and Dos tasks under
it. I've been following this news group for a while and I'm beginning to wonder
whether it's a good idea. I'm quite technical seeing that I make a living
writing 'C' code under unix on SUN workstations. But I'm not sure that I want
to spend that much time at home hacking Kernels and fooling around with
device drivers. It's bad enough that I had to educate myself about MFM RLL
ESDI SCSI Interleave modes wait states motherboards.
	I was thinking of buying a no name clone running at 25Mhz with 4 Megs
and a 120M RLL Seagate drive. Do I need to worry about competability issues?
How do I find out what drive and what controller I can use with what unix
(Before I buy all this stuff).
	Should I just give up and maybe get deskview and run DOS under that?

	Please, no religious wars I'm interested in finding out what people
in similar situation did and how it worked out.

	Thanks

		Dror

Dror Matalon                        Informix Software Inc.
{pyramid,uunet}!infmx!dror          4100 Bohannon drive
                                    Menlo Park, Ca. 94025
                                    415-926-6426