Use a 386 unix as a home machine?

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Wed Dec 27 11:24:28 AEST 1989

In article <818 at chinacat.Lonestar.ORG>, chip at chinacat.Lonestar.ORG (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
> >>[re: HP LJ IIP printer]
> >Especially if you don't mind doing a little hacking.  I understand that the
> >IIP can take LZW compressed input

I prefer the panasonic Laser Partner for approx $1,300 nowadays.
It has two 250 pg paper input bins, face down output bin, 11 pages per minute
printer engine.  Full compatability with hp laserjet.  The only thing it doesnt
do is accept hp font cartridges.  It does download hp-compatible fonts.

I have had one for about a year running 24 hours a day, printing about 10,000
pages per month without any problems.