Unices for Klones

Matt Kennel pa1159 at sdcc13.ucsd.edu
Sat Dec 16 11:53:40 AEST 1989

Hello, I'm considering buying some type of PC Clone system, for use
under Unix.

I've worked with workstations before, but never with a PC type of
computer under unix.  It appears, judging from the postings here,
that the configuration, hardware & software choices for these beasts
is far more complicated and perilous, than for, say, a Sun.

Let me state what I'd really like:

	1) A Decstation 3100.  Unfortunately it costs way too much.
	2) A sparcstation.  Ditto.
	3) A NeXT cube.  Problems:  CPU too slow (I'll be using this
             machine for heavy-duty numerical simulations, most
             probably, along with software development).  Completely
	     nonstandard window system.

As you can see, I'll have to settle for a PC clone-type system.

So now here come the questions:

I want "real unix", which seems to rule out "Xenix" (I'm not exactly
sure what it is, but it appears to be some heinous mutant strain),
so that I can compile all sorts of nice net-goodies.  Furthermore, I
like Berkeley much better than AT&T stuff.

There appear to be 4 Unix systems available:  Dell, ESIX(?), ISC and
SCO.  (I've only seen advertisements for the last of these in
magazines).

What I want to know is how do each of these stack up for the
following requirements:

-- Development system.  I.e. C compiler.  Plain old pcc or something
   better (or worse!)?
-- csh or ksh (both would be best) with job control. A simple SYSV
   bourne sh without JC is unacceptable.   Or in the least, is there
   a public domain/gnuware version of the former that will compile
   right?
-- TCP/IP networking for Ethernets.  A necessity.
-- File names >14 chars?  (Very useful)  Symbolic links?  ditto.
-- NFS??
-- Xwindows.  A necessity.   Do they come with anything more than
   the MIT stuff, e.g. OpenLook or Motif toolkits?  I mean, of
course, the _developer's_ version of same.
-- GNU CC.  Can I get it to work on the unices without alot of
   effort?  (I.e. do they include an assembler that groks GCC
output?)

What is the cost for the above?  (Unlimited users?  Or limited?)
What about support/upgrade costs?

Next, comes hardware.  It looks like I'll have to buy mail order
generic clone hardware because of money (I'm a grad student), so I'd
like to know what things are compatible with what.

For instance:

Disk controllers.  Almost surely, I'd get an ESDI or SCSI disk for
performance.  Do the Unices mentioned above work with any "Computer
Shopper"-type disk controller?  Are there marked advantages of one
over the other?

Video display:  This is my goal:  a high-resolution (1024x768 or
better) _gray scale_ display, preferably 17" or bigger.  (I think
the NeXT cube's display is fantastic.).  I realize I may have to get
a smaller monitor (14" appears to be the upper end before prices
take a big leap), but I don't think that color will be that
important.

I've seen lots of ads for various types of "Super VGA" boards that
claim 1024x768 pixels.  Is this a standard in any way?  How do the
Xwindows do with these boards?  Is it 1) a sure thing 2) Most likely
3) by no means assured  that the X server supports the
highest-resolution modes of these boards?  How fast are they/with
the X server?  Are they all pretty much alike or are there big
differences?

And, what kind of monitor would I have to buy?  (I'd like
non-interlaced display if possible)?  I.e. translate the ads for
me---is a "VGA Paperwhite monitor -- $245" what I want?  Lots of
_color_ monitors advertise 1024x768 compatibility, but what about
monchrome/gray scale?

Please ignore my ignorance, but I'm new to the PC world (I have a
severe brain allergy to MSDOS & the ilk) and don't really know
what's going on.

Please EMAIL responses to
	pa1159 at sdcc13.ucsd.edu
(post only if mail bounces).