getty..not hanging up

Axel Fischer fischer at utower.gopas.sub.org
Mon Dec 25 01:13:38 AEST 1989

tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:

>What would cause getty to *sometimes* not hang up the phne when a user
>logs off?  Note, most of the time it works fine and the user hits ctrl-d
>and the phone connection is broken, ie dtr is being handled.  But right
>now it isn't hanging up, when a user hits ctrl-d they get another login:
>and have to hangup manually at thier end.
>The wierd thing is I am not changing anything.
>Any ideas?

This happens always when you start a process in the background.
E.g. if you send a mail to someone and the mailer processes the mail
in the background and you quickly logout than you get a fresh login
message, 'cause there is a process still running.

You could also do this with a simple "tail -f .cshrc &"
If you start it and logs off you will always get a fresh login message
until you kill the process.

-Axel
--
fischer at utower.gopas.sub.org / fischer at db0tui6.BITNET / fischer at tmpmbx.UUCP
Bang-Europe : ...!{doitcr,gopnbg,tmpmbx}!utower!fischer