ESIX Networks and X

Michael Burg mb at chantal.UUCP
Fri Dec 8 05:27:05 AEST 1989

In article <1869 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>In article <257cf554:235.4comp.unix.i386;1 at nstar.UUCP> akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>
>| Revision D of ESIX is due in the spring with the new fast file system which
>| is going to be faster than the Interactive file system (according to their
>| sales information and technical support).
>
>  SCO UNIX has FFS, too. I don't know if the Desktop version has the
>security features. If it does it's a plus, but you have to turn them off
>for best performance.

	I believe that the ESIX FFS will be much faster than SCO UNIX FFS
and hopefully ISC FFS. The FFS is the true FFS from the BSD 4.2/4.3 world
(minus symbolic links). It will support the old System V directory layout
(14 characters per filename for applications that don't use ndir.h) or the
BSD directory layout (up to 255 characters per filename).
Hey, Jeff .. care to give us a update on this thing?

--Mike