Which SCSI adapter is better??

Jan Herder herder at myab.se
Fri Dec 15 01:56:14 AEST 1989

In article <39 at zds-ux.UUCP> gerry at zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) writes:
>I don't think this is an answer to the original question.  In order to be
>able to install on a SCSI drive with a particular controller, the appropriate
>driver needs to be in the UNIX on the install floppy.  Although I haven't
>tried to do it, you can probably install first on an "AT" style drive
>(ESDI/ST506), then build a kernel that can mount a SCSI drive, then move
>everything over to the SCSI drive.  There is some magic necessary to build
>a bootable SCSI drive, and I don't think you'll find this proceedure
>documented anywhere.  In particular, you need to change the file
>/etc/conf/cf.d/sassign to have the major number of your SCSI disk driver
>instead of Interactive's number before building the kernel you install
>on the SCSI disk.
>Gerry Gleason

The documenation that comes with the WD1007-FASST drivers describes how to
do this. There is an installscript supplyed that makes a bootable floppy.
In order to make a bootable floppy you need an up and running system.
There should be no extra drivers included, otherwise the unix will
bee to large for the floppy drive.

    You must also change the name "scsiprim" to something shorter due
to a bug in "/etc/conf/bin/idmaster". "idmaster" is a program that
returns the next free major number. It fails to recognise any
device name thats 8 characters long although a device name can be up
to 8 characters. If you don't do this the next driver you install
will get the same major number as "scsiprim" and everything bails out.

    The above is for Bell/Intel 386 5.3.2.
--
Jan Herder, MYAB Sweden                    |  Phone: +46 31 18 75 12
Internet: herder at myab.se                   |  Fax:   +46 31 18 28 42