More trouble with the 6386/StarLAN-10

David M. Lyle david at loki.uif.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 7 18:03:45 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec7.044257.14603 at usenet.ins.cwru.edu> davisp at skybridge.scl.cwru.edu (Palmer Davis) writes:
>First of all, many thanks to the many helpful folks who sent me mail after
>I complained earlier of my troubles getting support for AT&T's own StarLAN-10
>card under their own UNIX on their own processor.  The gist of what most
>people told me [but not AT&T! :-(] is that I need the "StarLAN Network 386 OSI
>Network Program."
>
>I called AT&T to order this beast, and the definitive answer I got from their
>National Parts line (1-800-222-PART) is that no such piece of software exists.

Now that sounds very strange.  Perhaps they only know it by the version number
of the software and not the name.

>They transferred me to the ComCode hotline, to the StarLAN group, and through
>about half the extensions in Customer Support, and *NOBODY* that I talked to
>had *EVER* heard of such a thing!  Since real, honest-to-god users of this
>product have written me to tell me about it, I can only conclude that either
>a) a group of teenage hackers has broken into every system at AT&T and
>carefully deleted every reference in every one of their files to the piece of
>software that I need, b) the AT&T support people are extremely clueless, or
>c) they just don't care.  (Somehow, possibility A seems rather unlikely.)
>
>Okay, folks... how do *YOU* deal with AT&T?

I've never had the kind of problems that you describe.  I would suggest that you
talk to your account executive and tell him this story.  He can turn the heat up
real high on the hotline...  :)

The package that you are looking for it the 386 OSI Network Program.  The PEC
code on that is 1330-S04 and the Comcode is 105474332.  The OSI version is
often referred to as version 3.*.  The cost of that, per a not to recent price
list, is $795 (list).  There is also the 386 Server Program (V3.*), in several
different flavors.