Shadow passwords

Michael Borza mike at antel.uucp
Sat Dec 30 01:32:43 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec27.125642.3097 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <6637 at pbhyf.PacBell.COM>, jdp at PacBell.COM (Jerry D. Pierce) writes:
>> I also remember reading awhile back in the AT&T release notes for a
>> 3B2/700 I was upgrading, something about "shadow passwording is not
>> compatible with all applications, the general symptom is you will
>> not be able to log into the machine."  Or something similar.  Anyone
>> had any problems??
>
>The problem is that if you have another program that is used to getting
>the password out of /etc/passwd it will have to be modified to look for
>the password in /etc/shadow.  All of the system utilities in 2.0.2
>use the /etc/shadow file (this includes login, passwd, telnet, and rlogin)

I know of at least rexec which still doesn't get it right.  Rexec'ing from
2.0.2 to 1.0.6 works just fine; going the other way fails because the
password validation fails.  This was also broken in 2.0.1, which I reported
to my vendor.  I had hoped, but didn't really expect, that it would be
fixed in 2.0.2.  Maybe in 2.2?

mike borza.
--
Michael Borza              Antel Optronics Inc.
(416)335-5507              3325B Mainway, Burlington, Ont., Canada  L7M 1A6