bug in csh and problem with rsh in ISC 386/ix

Doug McCallum dougm at ico.isc.com
Fri Dec 8 03:58:10 AEST 1989

   >search order of my path to search /bin first and then /usr/ucb. The manual
   >says that one should link /usr/ucb/rsh to another name like rshell, ok that's
   >a way to do it, but it is somehow not standard and people used to Suns
   >would not be able to guess the new name.

   It also won't work.  The standard (Berkeley) interpretation of this is
   that when the rsh binary is run as a program not named "rsh" (i.e.  with
   argv[0] something other than "rsh") it takes argv[0] as a machine name
   to connect to.  Thus you can link "rsh" to "dialogic" and type

The rsh in the 386/ix 2.0.2 release does allow calling it "rshell" or
"remsh" for compatibility with a couple of other packages and for
people who want /bin first in their search path and don't want to
change /bin/rsh to some other name.  Any other names than "rsh",
"rshell" or "remsh" work as you described and use the name it was
called with as a hostname.