ISC update

Piercarlo Grandi pcg at rupert.cs.aber.ac.uk
Fri Dec 29 10:19:22 AEST 1989

In article <PCG.89Dec28225254 at rupert.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg at rupert.cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:

   In article <1989Dec25.040854.9409 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

      You get X sources, yes.  But who is gonna port the server? The x source tape
      does not include a server for 386 machines/hardware, so it is not just a
      case of dropping in the software and running.

      Don't recommend something to somebody else when you don't know the first
      thing about what you are talking about.  Telling somebody to get the
      X sources and do the port themselves will wast alot more than $800 dollars
      worth of thier time.

   Uh oh. The ISC X11 *libraries* (their so called developer's set)
   cost $795. The *server* costs $295.  From ISC just get the
   server, which is very well done (has a reputation for being the
   fastest around), and get the libraries and toolkits and clients
   off the X11 servers or tapes and compile them -- you are likely
   to get a more recent and more up-to-date version than ISC's.

How embarassing! :-> Ten minutes after posting this to comp.sys.ibm.pc
I read the following in comp.windows.x: