Memory requirements for 386/ix

Gordon Marwood marwood at ncs.dnd.ca
Fri Dec 8 15:20:22 AEST 1989

We will shortly be installing 386/ix for the first time (on a
Honeywell-Bull 386).  The recommended minimum memory is 2MB.  I would be
interested to hear about recommendations for memory size, and its
practical effect on performance of 386/ix.  I realize that this depends
a lot on the way in which the machine is used.  All I can say about our
projected use is that it will be used for mail by a group of, perhaps 20
people, though I suspect no more than 6 at a time.  We also expect to
use it as a file server for the same group, using NFS.  I suppose that
the closest comparison might be with someone who has used 386/ix on a
similar machine (20 MHz) for a similar group size.

Gordon Marwood
Internet: marwood at ncs.dnd.ca