Chips in a Bell HUB card?

John G. De Armond jgd at rsiatl.UUCP
Wed Dec 13 06:42:24 AEST 1989

In article <897 at pmafire.UUCP> dave at pmafire.UUCP (Dave Remien) writes:

>Just at a question, does the Bell Tech HUB card use 16450 chips for
>the serial I/O? Has anyone tried using a HUB card with Jim Murray's asy
>driver with 16550 chips in place?
>
>Since TRC is selling the card for $195; with the 16550 replacements (if
>possible) and Jim's asy driver, looks like the best low-cost way to go
>to me.

The 16550s should work, though I've not tried them in this particular
card.  The problem is that by the time one pays $195 for the card and
$20 ea for 16550s, the price is bumping up against that of the lower
cost smart cards.

BTW, anyone got a source for CHEAP 16550?  Cheaper than Digikey or
Jameco?

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | The Fano Factor -
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | Where Theory meets Reality.