Chips in a Bell HUB card?

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Wed Dec 13 12:19:57 AEST 1989

In article <909 at rsiatl.UUCP> jgd at rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) writes:
>The 16550s should work, though I've not tried them in this particular
>card.  The problem is that by the time one pays $195 for the card and
>$20 ea for 16550s, the price is bumping up against that of the lower
>cost smart cards.

If you need to populate the whole card with fast chips you may
as well get a smart card, IMHO.  On the other hand, if you need
two fast ports and some slower ones, like me, it doesn't look
like such a bad deal.

>BTW, anyone got a source for CHEAP 16550?  Cheaper than Digikey or
>Jameco?

I know they can be had for around $10 in quantity -- co-op buying
is an option, as is conning your card vendor into carrying them
as an option.
--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462
"If the conjecture `You would rather I had not disturbed you