Building News 2.11.19 on 386/ix

daniel mocsny dmocsny at uceng.UC.EDU
Thu Dec 14 06:19:43 AEST 1989

Hello again.

I'm trying to build News 2.11.19 under 386/ix 2.0.2 and I'm hitting a
funny little glitch in the program virtterm.c. Looks like the
parameter TIOCGWINSZ is #define'd in 386/ix's
/usr/include/sys/termio.h (#include'd in virtterm.c). This causes
conditional compilation of a code fragment around line 838 where the
declaration:

struct winsize ws;

appears. Cc barfs there with an "unknown size" error because (I guess)
it can't seem to find the declaration of winsize in any #included
files (which are: stdio.h, ctype.h, sys/types.h, sys/ioctl.h,
signal.h, and termio.h (which itself #include's sys/termio.h)). The
compiler then complains about some undefined variables ws_row and
ws_col which are components of winsize.

I grep'ed around /usr/include and its subdirectories, as well as
the /usr/lib/*.a files (with nm) and the only place I found another
mention of winsize was in /usr/include/sys/jioctl.h which has
the line:

struct jwinsize winsize

nested inside another struct, in the midst ofsome sinister-looking
code I don't want to try to figure out. The winsize struct doesn't
appear in any of the other News sources, near as I can grep.

So then, now that I have botched things up again, I appeal to
the towering intellects of the net. I think my localize.sh looks
pretty good, but what do I know. Somebody he'p me...

Questions:

1. Is TIOCGWINSZ supposed to get #define'd? If not, then what
parameter do I change to stop it?

2. If TIOCGWINSZ is supposed to get #define'd, then how come
cc doesn't find winsize anywhere? Is it off hiding in some obscure
.a or .h file where I don't see it?

Dan Mocsny
dmocsny at uceng.uc.edu