Ethernet interface recommendation please.

dale chayes dale at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu
Sun Dec 10 10:35:48 AEST 1989

	I'm looking for a recommendation for an ethernet card to replace
the 3Com 3C501 card in my Dolch 386/20. I'm running ISC 2.0.1 and am
having significant problems (the OS looses all notion that it is connected
to a network eventually, requires rebooting to clear.)  (I'v not been
able to get any kind of resolution to this problem from ISC.)

	I understood when I bought the OS that a) there were some known
performance problems when using this card, and b) I am on a busy network. I'm
not real worried about my "investment" in the 501 cards since they paid
for them selves long ago and they work fin in PCs running NCSA telnet...

	However, before I buy new hardware, I'd like to know what I
can expect. The goal is to have reasonable NFS and X11 performance. I've got
a 150 mb ESDI disk on a wd-1007 controller and 4mb of memory. No coprocessor,
(yet) I'm still watching the prices fall.

	I've been getting about 15 K bytes per second throughput (as reported
by ftp) between my Doch (3C501) and my local Masscomp or Sun.  I would like
to see 50K bytes/sec which I don't think is unreasonable, but.....

Thanks in advance.
Dale
--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964	dale at lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu
voice:	(914) 359-2900 extension 434	fax: (914) 359-6817