Use a 386 unix as a home machine?

Russ Poffenberger poffen at molehill
Mon Dec 25 06:36:19 AEST 1989

In article <207 at comcon.UUCP> tim at comcon.UUCP (Tim Brown) writes:

>I would never buy unix specifically to run DOS.  You buy unix because it
>is better and use the capability to run DOS to get over the addiction.
>Bottom line, what could you need DOS for that unix can't do better
>anyway?   Put a litle more diplomatically, If you *really* want to be
>ablt to run DOS, with no strings attached in so far as compatibility is
>concerned, run DOS.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I can think of just ONE good reason
that you want good msdos compatibility, and that is to run all those tens of
thousands of msdos programs that AREN'T available under UNIX. Personally, I use
UNIX all day at work on a Sun workstation and wish dearly that I could get a
good BSD unix for my home PC, yet retain msdos compatibility for all those
msdos programs I have.

Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110