sparing bad blocks

John L. Grzesiak jlg at odicon.UUCP
Sun Dec 3 05:42:07 AEST 1989

> Next, a question for the interactive types.  Why does the -V or -v
> option with an Adaptec 1542 SCSI controller not work?   I can hear
> the drive retry several times on each bad sector but the program
> never reports one.  When a bad sector is encountered in operation,
> I hear only one retry before the kernal reports a problem.  I
> had to collect bad sector information by dd'ing from /dev/dsk/0s1 etc
> and logging the kernal messages.  What a bitch!

I may be wrong here , but I beleive the HA-154x remaps sectors to
 spares transparently. So , if this is the case , the OS won't
 get to see bad sectors.

	* John Grzesiak @ Omega Dynamics :  Specializing in UNIX/XENIX    *
	* Meriden Ct USA                 :    Consulting . . .            *
        * jlg at odicon or spock!odicon!jlg : gaboon!odicon!jlg              *