ISC update

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Thu Dec 28 04:16:33 AEST 1989

In article <269 at ankh.COM> pax at ankh.COM (Garry M. Paxinos) writes:
>In article <1989Dec20.184947.3562 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>
>   On the other hand, my experience with ISC support is just so-so.  Brian has
>   not returned any of my phone calls (boo hiss).  We have a problem with NFS
>   which they say will be "fixed in the next release" -- even though it's a
>   one-line patch, and we NEED it (root mapping cannot be turned off in ISC's
>   NFS, and there is no tape server -- be wary of this if you intend to do
>   backups across the net as this currently appears to be IMPOSSIBLE!)
>
>Inelegant but not impossible, I just remote mount the disks on the machine
>with a tape drive and backup from there...

With ISC 2.0.2, eh?

How do you handle the fact that your root isn't root on the other
filesystems?  That is, you can't read the files!

The fix is to patch "nobody" in the kernel to 0 instead of -2.  That works.
Thanks to the unnamed person (by his request) who provided the hint.

Then it works.  Thank the Gods.

Now if the lock daemon would function.......

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]