Experience with SCO UNIX 5.3

Chuck Forsberg caf at omen.UUCP
Sun Dec 10 00:29:16 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec8.045152.28169 at NCoast.ORG> mikes at ncoast.ORG (Mike Squires) writes:
:It's hard to compare disk access speed at this point - at least SCO UNIX
:will be (hopefully) changing in terms of its SCSI support.

A few numbers measured on a 33 mHz Micronics motherboard, CDC Wren V,
and Adaptec 1542A:

-rw-rw-rw-   1 caf      omen     1141952 Dec 09 05:12 /tmp/foobaz
	time /bin/wc /tmp/foobaz
  33235 1818311141952 /tmp/foobaz

real	0m2.02s
user	0m1.12s
sys	0m0.52s

It took about 3.4 seconds to create foobaz with a cp command
from another file, and a sync immediately thereafter took
about .7 seconds.

time cp /tmp/foobaz /dev/null
real	0m1.54s
user	0m0.00s
sys	0m0.48s

The 500 kbytes/sec read rate for file system reads (not raw
disk!) seems pretty consistient every time I've checked it.

The buffer cache is 500k.  You may need to have the Wren's
read-ahead buffer turned on with a special program available
from Adaptec to hit these top speeds.

Xenix was getting about 36000 bytes per second on similar
reads, but that was before I turned on the Wren's read-ahead.

I don't know how good the SCSI tape support is in SCO Unix,
but at least one SCSI disk (mine) is quite well supported.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF