RFS is by far better that NFS!

Mark Beyer markb at unix386.Convergent.COM
Sat Dec 16 05:36:26 AEST 1989

In article <218 at inpnms.UUCP>, logan at inpnms.UUCP (Jim Logan) writes:
> We all have 386's on our desks running RFS and have enjoyed
> having root access to our machines, but not on the server.  From
> what we have read, this is not possible under NFS.  Is this true?

No.

> Is seems that the only way to prevent root access on the server
>	:

Maybe you and I have a different concept of what "root access on the server" is,
but with NFS, root exclusion happens by default.  root is mapped to uid -2
(well, in 16 bit unsigned) on the server.  So files you create
on the server while logged in as root on the client have "other" access, just
as if you excluded root in the RFS uid rules.

What did you read that made you think this wasn't so ?

Mark Beyer
markb at convergent.com
{pyramid,pacbell,sri-unix}!ctnews!markb