Taking risks on software (ISC)

Gerry Swetsky lisbon at vpnet.UUCP
Sat Dec 2 19:00:13 AEST 1989

> How has the file system managed with complete un-attended power downs?

    This has happened quite a few times here at vpnet (thanks, Common-
    wealth Edison).  The file system survives without a hitch.  Here's
    a tip.  Damage generally isn't incurred when the power is lost but
    when the power is subsequently restored.  Quite often a surge is
    involved with the restoration.  Don't allow the system to come up
    when the power is restored.  Here at vpnet we have a drop-out relay
    that assures that once the power is down, it stays down till it is
    reset manually.  And we have yet to have a problem with Interactive
    1.0.9, 2.0.1 OR 2.0.2.

    Oh, this isn't a hardware conference?  I'm SO embarrassed!