Device errors (static zaps)

Liam R. E. Quin lee at sq.sq.com
Fri Dec 15 16:22:28 AEST 1989

fnf at estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>
>> I used to get this kind of error every time I touched my old Bell Tech 386.
>> It seems that the disk controller was especially suseptable to static [...]

> I have the same problem with our Bell Tech machine using the tape drive.  On
> days when static electricity becomes noticable, I have to ground myself
> before> inserting or removing tapes, or the entire disk/tape system locks up.

If you are using the cypher (cipher?) tape drive with the plastic slide,
you may need a thin strip of metal along the bottom of the slide in order
to ground it.  The problem is in the moving plastic part.

You used to be able to get the part from the distributer -- e.g. CCI or Bull.

Some other drives with metal bits in the front can be improved with a small
piece of wire or a 47K resistor going between the metal bit and the case,
but do not do this if the metal bit goes within an inch or so of the tape
head, or you might cause other problems...

Lee