386/ix questions: asynch boards; support

Stan Voket asv at gaboon.UUCP
Sun Dec 3 00:20:36 AEST 1989

In article <291 at mentat.COM> jt at mentat.UUCP (Jerry Toporek) writes:

>in the X5 update.  My question now is:  Can anyone with a hardware
>configuration like ours recommend a specific high-performance asynch
>board with 16550A chip(s) that works well under 2.0.2?  We don't need
>lots of ports, and would prefer a board with RJ-45 connections.  We
>mostly just want to see over 1000 bytes/sec like the good old days,

     For dumb ports I've had good luck plugging in NS16550A uarts into an old
     Multitech multifunction board just used for it's serial ports.  Now I'm
     also having VERY good luck with an Equinox Megaport 24 port board.  It
     uses no off the shelf uarts.  I get the Telebit Trailblazer transfer
     speed you are looking for and I've freed up a slot in the motherboard
     and saved interrupts too!  Also, it has many connector options.

     (references to happy campers deleted) :-)