Shadow passwords

Jerry D. Pierce jdp at PacBell.COM
Wed Dec 27 14:17:54 AEST 1989

I'm running 386/ix (version 2.0.2) on a Compaq 386/20e and I have a
couple of questions in regards to shadow passwording.  On other systems
I administer, I pretty much keep the password file in UID (numeric)
order by directly editting the file with vi.  However, with shadow
passwords in place, I am more than a little leery to try this.  Anyone
have any suggestions??  Keeping the /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow entries
in numeric order makes the task of administering the boxes much
easier...

I also remember reading awhile back in the AT&T release notes for a
3B2/700 I was upgrading, something about "shadow passwording is not
compatible with all applications, the general symptom is you will
not be able to log into the machine."  Or something similar.  Anyone
had any problems??

   Jerry Pierce
   pacbell!pbhyf!jdp