databases & serial cards

Jim Guyton guyton at randvax.UUCP
Mon Dec 25 16:25:40 AEST 1989

[Posted for a friend; responses to me and I'll forward, thanks -- Guyton]

Hello.  A couple of questions for the ix386 experts:

1) Can someone please list/critique the commercially available relational
   database systems that will run under ix?  Systems that will perform
   well when undergoing simultaneous multiple queries, and are compatible
   with popular DOS database packages (e.g. DBASE) are of particular interest.
   I understand that ix can run Xenix binaries--is there any particular
   overhead associated with doing this?

2) Looking over past messages, I see a variety of comments concerning
   smart serial cards.  Can someone summarize, from as unbiased a position
   as possible, the available cards and their advantages and disadvantages?
   Of special interest is the ability to handle substantial numbers
   (8 or more) of modems at 2400 bps, and ideally a couple of 9600/19200
   connections as well.  Good performance and properly operating hardware
   flow control are musts.

For both of the above topics, some idea of "typical" prices would
be very useful!

Thank you very much.

-------

   guyton at rand.org