RFS is by far better that NFS!

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Thu Dec 21 10:13:43 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec19.195321.3431 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

>The problem we have is that we have a physically secure network.  Thus, we
>WANT root to really be root -- on all filesystems.  Allowing this lets us
>put one big Exabyte tape drive on the network and back up everything.  It
>allows us many other conveniences as well.
>With 386/ix NFS, none of this is possible -- unless I want to write a tape
>server.  Ugh.

Can't you patch the value of the variable "nobody" in your ISC kernel?

Most Sun-derived NFS ports use the value of the integer variable "nobody"
as the UID to map root to.  If you use "adb" or something you hack
yourself to change the value of "nobody" to 0, you should be all set.

I'm not an ISC user, but this is almost always consistent across most
implementations.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer