Taking risks on software (ISC)

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Dec 2 14:03:29 AEST 1989

In article <[2575a8ad:160.11]comp.unix.i386;1 at nstar.UUCP>, akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
> >I have been very satisfied with the reliability and performance of 386/ix.
> >I run NFS, tcp-ip, X11, VPix without any problems.  I have run xenix software
>
> How has the file system managed with complete un-attended power downs?  Try
> pulling the plug a couple of times and see what happens.  I've lost the
> power a couple of times to this machine (running SCO) and have NEVER lost a
> file let alone the ability to boot the machine (which was the case SEVERAL
> times when running ISC 2.02).

I have had multiple power outages (made worse by the fact that I use a caching
disk controller with 2 1/2 meg of cache) and the only files that I have had
trouble with are /tmp files, or files that I was just in the progress of
creating/writing.

The system has never had trouble rebooting from power outages nor from the
lockups that I have gotted from some hardware glitch in my graphics display
whenever I leave the monitor on for more than 12 to 15 hours and then
turn it off.  Since it is directly related to turning off the monitor, I
can hardly blame interactive.

> I feel sorry for you spending $3000 for ISC.  I purchased it through the
> 75% off retail plan (for anyone who want's to be a dealer) and still feel
> ripped off.

I don't feel ripped off.  $3000 is only about 10 % of the cost of my system.
Of course I wouldn't object if Interactive decided that they should reduce
prices.

BTW - last time I checked, SCO Xenix prices were not much better (and in fact,
many pieces that I have in 386/ix were not available in Xenix).