Why no job control in 386/ix?

Support account support at ism780c.isc.com
Thu Dec 7 04:49:02 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec3.195259.25413 at antel.uucp> mike at antel.uucp (Michael Borza) writes:
>And who out there in netland that actually paid money for 386/ix is
>running 2.1?  To the best of my knowledge, 2.0.2 is the latest
>released version.  I've certainly never received a notice that
>I could upgrade from 2.0.2 to 2.1.  If 2.1 has been released for

Release 2.1 of 386/ix is a special release intended *only* for companies
doing government bids. Here is part of the internal product release
information sheet on that release:

Release 2.1 is both POSIX 1003.1 and FIPS (Federal Information
Processing Standard) 151-1 compliant. The OS also features Job Control and
the Software Development System contains a special library intended for those
who want to write applications that are POSIX compliant at the source level.
The OS and the utilities will retain their current behaviour in order to
maintain SVID (System V Standard Interface Definition) compliance.

Packaged product will be available only to system integrators who need a
POSIX and/or C2 secure system for government bids.

386/ix Security Release 1.1 will be a
mandatory extension for the Release 2.1 OS.  This product, when loaded while
installing 386/ix release 2.1, will turn the 386/ix Operating System into a
C2 secure system.  386/ix Security will not work on OS Release 2.0.2.  For
release 2.2 of 386/ix, a new version of this package will be required.

More information about this release can be obtained from the
Federal Systems Sales office: (703) 847 4228

Apologies to those inconvenienced by not receiving information
about this limited distribution upgrade.