ISC ?

Willy Paine paine at fungus.dec.com
Tue Dec 5 10:24:17 AEST 1989

In article <111059 at nstar.UUCP> you write:

>The Saga of my dealings with ISC continues..
>
>I wanted to run a news site - and wanted an OS to make my machine shine
>(25mhz '386).  After looking through Unix Today!, Unix Review and Unix
>World - I decided on ISC - primarily due to the speed of the file system.
>At the time (6 months ago) SCO wasn't producing their Unix product and I
>wasn't interested in Xenix - since it wasn't Unix - so my first introduction
>to ?NIX was with ISC.
>

>ISC wasn't working for me - so I called an ordered SCO Xenix 2.3.2.  I
>installed Xenix - and everything overall ran quite well.  I never needed
>and miss the fast Unix file system (I also heard about how neat rn is as a

>news reader - and want to run rfmail which is a fidonet compatible package
>written for Unix system V).  The Xenix machine runs so well, that if I died
>the machine would keep running as long as the bills were paid.  I went on
>vacation and the machine rebooted, checked the file systems and was back
>on-line within a short period of time re-distributing news.
>
>This is December - and I have been reading about others who have positive
>experiences with ISC 2.02 and the X5 mod.  I also have heard from others
>for whom the X5 modification didn't do any good.  I guess I'm willing to
>am interested in X-Windows now that I have an enhanced VGA graphics sub-
>system.	 I talked with Brian at ISC and he has ageed to help me get ISC
>back up and running.  What more could I ask?  Maybe I was un-fair to ISC
>in my previous messages - or maybe I wasn't?  Hopefully the Hostess drivers
>and/or X5 mod will work for for this site nstar..

It is better to try not to switch system too much and this is really
stressful.   It is not only upgrading ICS -> Xenix -> SCO Unix at home
but today I will install 11th Operating system from scratch this year at
work (both Unix and VMS).  I am software engineer on Unix Development
and this is very stressful.   I find it is much more pleasant try not to
switch system at home because I want to spend more time on reading and
sending messages to friends as well as working with new softwares like
Pcomm or Elm etc.  Recently I am on SCO Developer's program so I am
getting pre-release Xsight (X-windows ) this week.   I have good experience
with X-windows (using DECwindows) at work and this takes up alot of time
to set up.   I did install ICS with X5 Upgrade and this does not work
with my current gettydefs so I have to change gettydefs.  This does not
work well on returning to login prompt after users disconnect without
warning.  So I switched to Xenix and SCO Unix.  ICS and SCO are good
products but I can not take both.  I feel that SCO is better for
uucp communication.   SCO Unix has C1 security that causes some problem
with chat programs.    Rfmail is very well tested for BSD but not for
System V yet and Randy Bush got this to work with Xenix but he did not
continue using this long.   I am still getting another release soon.
Rfmail is not 100% working under ICS at all and this does not made
connection very well.   I just start testing rfamil again in SCO Unix
right now after upgrading from Xenix.   If you have several lines for
Unix, I suggest to get one beatup MSDOS machine for FidoNet.  I think it
would take couple of years to polish rfmail.   UFGATE package for MS-DOs
was testing over three years before releasing to public.  Rfmail and
UFGATE authors work on sparetime in the evening!!

Overall, I suggest to relax and have fun playing or tuning with system
rather than switching over systems.  My kids remind me again again -
"Don't worry - Be happy"

Willy

- --
.   Willy Paine                      BBS/FAX +1-206-822-4615   .
.   willyp at seaeast.WA.COM            FidoNet 1:343/15          .
.   uunet!nwnexus!seaeast!willyp     fungus.enet.dec.com!paine .
.   It takes less time to do a thing right than to explain     .
.   why you did it wrong  - Longfellow.                        .